Re: [CBQ] Photographer Balinsky?

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Photographer Balinsky?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 13:01:15 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Randy Danniel wrote:

“Hank was a superb craftsman as is his son. They constructed some of the finest museum quality, fine scale examples of CB&Q engines, freight cars and equipment ever built, right down to class lights, working generators and air pumps”

Every cast part (down to the air brake tees and elbows, etc.) had the correct foundry pattern number on it.   The craftsmanship was outstanding… and that was perhaps the only criticism I could make of his modeling.  Aurora, West Burlington, Havelock never did such perfect work!!!

Charlie Vlk

As a side note, I was able to purchase an original pencil drawing of the NM-2 from the J. Harold Geissel collection at the Wheaton Train Show of all places.  It was more correct than the inked version that appeared along with Hank’s Model Railroader article. .

Back in 1966-67 I was asked by Bob Colson to visit Hank to ask him to make the patterns for the All-Nations waycar kit.   Hank was by then into 1/8” live steam and was associated with Zimmer’s line of stick-built car kits along with Carl Ulrich.   He had some cars under construction in his basement and I made the sign like they were Dracula to ward off my interest in live steam.  I wish I hadn’t waited until I moved to Tennessee to get into that end of the Hobby……..

,_._,_

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61962) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_