Re: [External] Re: [CBQ] Survivor Pensions

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [External] Re: [CBQ] Survivor Pensions
From: "Carroll, Ed" <ed.carroll@heartland.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:36:41 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
In the 19th century railroads did give pensions to widows of management killed on the job. They were structured similar to the pensions that went to soldiers and widows of Union soldiers. It was in a range of 20-50 dollars a month. It was at the discretion of the company, in a few cases that I knew of on the Rock Island and one on the Q, that the family continued to live in the section foreman's house close to the rails coming in or out of town. My father pointed out the old section foreman's house along the tracks in Ottawa just north of Norris Drive and the newer one along the tracks closer to the north yard in Ottawa. The old one had been occupied by the widow and children of a section foreman. The newer one had been sold by the railroad when my father didn't want to move into it with my mother. He expected to be moved to Chicago as an assistant superintendent, which he did, and ran a construction crew in the early 1950s expansion of Clyde yards.

Again, the treatment of management widows while still at the discretion of the company, so I can't point to any standards or policy structures on this practice.

Ordinary workers on the railroads might get 2.50 to 10 dollars for the burial and for the family. Usually, it was the other workers or the Brotherhood that came up with money for the widows and orphans.

Edward V. Carroll
Distinguished Professor of History - Emeritus
Heartland Community College
1500 West Raab Road
Normal IL 61761

ed.carroll@heartland.edu

Understanding the past requires pretending that you don't know the present.
Paul Fussell