Re: [CBQ] Hannibal & St. Joseph Bridge over the Missouri River 1869

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Hannibal & St. Joseph Bridge over the Missouri River 1869
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 15:06:00 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
There are a number of 1869 railroad maps if you do a quick internet search. Searching on Kansas Pacific will yield you a 1869 map which was the westernmost railroad out of Kansas City.

One thing to keep in mind is at that time it was not clear where the next western jumping off point over the Missouri River would be after Omaha-Council Bluffs. Some thought it would be St. Joseph MO as the Hannibal and St. Joe had already reached there earlier the decade. Some others thought it would be Leavenworth KS where the army post was or Atchison KS  (namesake of the AT&SF chartered in 1859). This uncertainty led to both Atchison and Leavenworth being served by 5-6 railroads each despite each being around 10-15,000 people at the time.  Kansas City was just another one of the players. Since the Missouri River was bridged first at Kansas City, that helped make Kansas City the rail hub of the area. Even then, it took 20-30 years for the result to be clear. All the three points north of Kansas City all had rail bridges built after the Hannibal Bridge with the last new rail bridge built across the Missouri River at Leavenworth in the early 1890s.

Historical fortune smiled on the Burlington. The Rock Island chose to make St. Joseph their main crossing point across the Missouri River to Colorado. They then needed to remedy this later using trackage rights into and leaving Kansas City and a new cutoff route across southeastern Nebraska to reach Colorado.

Bill Hirt