Re: [CBQ] Hannibal & St. Joseph Bridge over the Missouri River 1869

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Hannibal & St. Joseph Bridge over the Missouri River 1869
From: "Archie Hayden" <klinerarch@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 11:01:47 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I assume ferries were considered part of the main line.

On Apr 2, 2021, at 9:52 AM, Dave Lotz <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net> wrote:

When the Union Pacific began heading west from Omaha in 1862, there were no railroads connecting to it from the east.  After the Chicago and North Western Railway reached Council Bluffs in 1867, the Union Pacific Transfer company maintained a ferry service until the first railroad bridge between Council Bluffs and Omaha opened on March 27, 1872.  It finally connected the first Transcontinental Railroad to the eastern United States. The bridge was rebuilt twice, with the current bridge opening on December 20, 1916.  The bridge became the property of the UP when it absorbed the C&NW in 1995.