Re: [CBQ] Rare Chinese red box car

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Rare Chinese red box car
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 07:41:20 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 11:40 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:

It appears to be a 40 FT single sheathed boxcar in MOW service….Omaha Orange paint, not Chinese Red.  I think the color on the scan is off.

Man, that sure looks Chinese Red to my eyes! Although the color may be a little off, looking at the Chinese Red on the locomotives in the photo (which are a bit redder than normal I'll admit), the colors on the car and locomotives seem almost identical. While color shift on the scan could give the car a more reddish appearance, I would think there would still be a much clearer differentiation of the Chinese Red on the locomotives vs. a color shifted orange on the car.

It also appears to me the car is definitely sitting on trucks. It also has no end door like many of the old single sheathed boxcars I have seen converted to sheds (like the one at Savanna).

An odd thing to me is that there don't appear to be any top end reporting marks on the car. With that bright/new color, I am sure the car end lettering would be white and you would at least see some blurred indication of the car end reporting marks at the top right of the car end.

Would someone familiar with Dawn Yard be able to comment on whether the area between 5632 and the F-Unit was a dead end track or was just empty space? If it is a dead end track, then again, clearly this is a car on trucks and not a shed.

A final thought: With the KCUS anniversary being celebrated, and the Q knowing that 5632 would be there, and probably a lot of photos of it around Dawn Yard, could it possibly have been that they or the local yard folks decided to spiff up a car being used as for storage in the engine facility with Chinese Red? Most of the sheds or non-MOW cars being used for stationary storage that I have seen were still mineral red (e.g. Savanna), but maybe in this case they wanted to brighten things up a bit, and Chinese Red was the choice?

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61470) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_