[CBQ] FW: Mark Twain Zephyr E-Newsletter: 2/05/2021

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] FW: Mark Twain Zephyr E-Newsletter: 2/05/2021
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 06:52:19 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

From: Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad <rtabern@spoonertrainride.com>
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 6:15 AM
To: dave_lotz@bellsouth.net
Subject: Mark Twain Zephyr E-Newsletter: 2/05/2021

EDITION 4 - FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2021

This E-Newsletter is produced by the Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad's Office of Passenger Development to keep our supporters informed about the restoration of the Mark Twain Zephyr. We will send one to two updates per month and never sell/give your e-mail address to any third party.

MARK TWAIN ZEPHYR

HISTORY BOOKS ARE HERE!

ONE WEEK ONLY DISCOUNT!

After more than 3,000 hours of research and numerous trips that took the co-authors to Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Iowa... the first two (of three) volumes of "Mark Twain Zephyr: History, Restoration, and Rebirth" are about to be published by the Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad -- and are going on sale TODAY.

When Greg and Mardell Vreeland were looking at purchasing the Mark Twain Zephyr back in 2019... they noticed there was very little information out there about this beloved CB&Q train. Most books and magazines contained just a few pages just on the Mark Twain Zephyr -- while the "star of the show" always seems to be the Pioneer Zephyr.

Feeling that the Mark Twain Zephyr at least served a book of its own, the Vreelands contacted railroad authors and historians Kandace and Tabern.... commissioning them for a nearly year-long project to dive deep into the history of the train. And you get the end benefit --- a three-book series that will more than 750 pages.

As we mentioned, the first two volumes go on sale TODAY.

VOLUME #1 is 265 pages long and focuses on Albert Dean's design of the Zephyrs, a brief look at each of the Mark Twain Zephyr's sister trains, exclusive photos of the building of the Mark Twain Zephyr at the Budd Plant in Philadelphia, the "test run" of the Mark Twain Zephyr in New York and Pennsylvania, some of the pre-inaugural runs in the Midwest, the record set in Nebraska, and a play-by-play of the October 25, 1935 dedication in Hannibal, Missouri.

VOLUME #2 is 287 pages long and focuses on the 23 years that the Mark Twain Zephyr operated under the CB&Q. You will be surprised at how many different lines the train set was used on besides the "home route" of Burlington, Iowa to St. Louis, Missouri via Hannibal. We will also trace the 60 year history that the Mark Twain Zephyr was under private ownership. We got the chance to interview the children of many of the original owners who provided exclusive content to this book. The last chapter focuses on the Wisconsin Great Northern's restoration plans.

(VOLUME #3, which will be released in Winter or Spring 2022, is planned to focus on the move of the Mark Twain Zephyr from the St. Louis area to Northwest Wisconsin... many exclusive photos and content of the restoration process that you have not been able to see... and of course, the ribbon cutting and first few weeks of public runs at the Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad).

You will have three different choices when it comes to purchasing your copies of "Mark Twain Zephyr: History, Restoration, and Rebirth". They are available from our publisher in a fine Collector's Edition Hard Cover edition, a lighter soft cover edition, and an e-Book for those... who are digital-minded and want to get reading instantly!

No matter what your choice is, you'll want to head over to www.MTZstore.com right now to make your purchase of Volume #1 and Volume #2. That's because we are offering a special PRE-ORDER DEEP DISCOUNT for one week only to those of you who have been following us here on our e-Newsletter. Prices will never be this low again, and they are going up in 7 days.

Note that books will be published March 1st and then will be shipped out Priority Mail. So please allow 4-5 weeks for delivery.

If you have any questions about book orders, e-mail books@railrangers.org.

WORK CONTINUES ON "TOM SAWYER"

AND "HUCK FINN" CARS

Most of our crews have been working hard on the "Huckleberry Finn" and the "Tom Sawyer", the two rear-most passenger cars on the Mark Twain Zephyr train set.

With most of the heavy interior work being completed on the "Tom Sawyer" during December 2020, attention is turning to the finer details... such as trim and the wood work that needs to be completed. In the months ahead, there will tile work, electrical and plumbing work, and then the carpet and seating will be installed.

Modernization of the "Huckleberry Finn" has been taking place the last few weeks. While historic, the coal-fired stove and the ice boxes are not very practical for serving meals aboard the train in 2021 --- which the Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad fully intends to do at some point. Most of the obsolete items are being removed and taken to our off-site storage facility for preservation and possible future display. The crews are also busy working to create a hallway through a portion of the former kitchen area -- so that passengers will be able to access the "Effie Dean", "Becky Thatcher Museum Car", and the theater area of "Injun Joe". Passengers would never walk beyond the "Huckleberry Finn" on the original Mark Twain Zephyr so a hallway was never necessary, but will be in the future.

While we only send one or two of our e-Newsletters every month in hopes of not bombarding your in-box, you can follow progress of the Mark Twain Zephyr on a more regular basis when you so choose.

Photos are posted during the work week on our Facebook page. CLICK HERE!

And, on most Sunday afternoons we post a video updates on our YouTube Channel.

CLICK HERE to subscribe to our YouTube Channel so you don't miss any updates!

THE WHEELS ON THE ZEPHYR

GO 'ROUND AND ROUND'...

Our crews are also very busy at the Wisconsin Great Northern's off-site facility... doing very important work on the articulated trucks of the Mark Twain Zephyr. Since not many repairs have been done on the wheels and trucks since the train was pulled out of service in 1958 by the CB&Q... almost every small part must be taken apart, run through a machine called a "bead blaster" (which removes much of the rust and dirt), and then inspected. The good news is... if there are no issues... the parts can be reassembled and will be likely good for the next 40 years.

To see how the "bead blaster" machine works, tune in for our upcoming YouTube MTZ video update on Sunday, February 14th. WGNRR's Operations Manager Nick Turinetti will give us a demonstration.

FOR MORE UPDATES... FOLLOW THE MARK TWAIN ZEPHYR ON FACEBOOK & TWITTER

Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad

N6639 Dilly Lake Road Trego, Wisconsin 54888

Depot Phone: (715) 635-3200

Please direct inquiries about the MTZ Restoration Project to:

Robert Tabern, WGNRR Director of Passenger Development

(c)2021 Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad, Inc. - All Rights Reserved

Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad | N6639 Dilly Lake Road, Trego, WI 54888

Trusted Email from Constant Contact - Try it FREE today.

Avast logo

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61335) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_