Re: [CBQ] WalthersProto grey

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] WalthersProto grey
From: "popbumper1" <popbumper1@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 15:05:03 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Eric, thanks for this info.

On a greater scale, I have always wished for a "standardized" list of suitable grey paints that would apply to Q locomotives, as well as the various covered hoppers in all of the LO classes that the Q owned, that all manufacturers and paint vendors would follow.

Of course, understanding that:

1) Actual railcar manufacturers including rail shops MAY have used a variety of paints from different vendors, even though they chose a single color for, say, an LO-11 build...

2) photographs are not always the best representation of colors, given age of the locomotive, age of film, type of film, translation to print (or bound photocopy)

3) scale paint manufacturers AND model vendors MAY be "guessing" (apologies as I simply would not know how much research they do) at their colors...a good example here is Chinese Red; Tru-color actually offers BOTH Chinese Red AND Burlington Chinese Red. This fascinates me, because the difference is subtle....

4) pigment consistency, both in real life and scale paints can, will, and have varied across the years.

Paint is unfortunately, by nature, subjective. Looking right now at an Atlas GP40 next to a Rivarossi U25C, the difference in the greys alone is particularly glaring.

Finally, (and also as an example), another historical society I belong to offers a reference sheet with many paint chip examples. I don't ever recall the BRHS offering this, but then again, I have not done the research. Do scale paint manufacturers use these as reference?

Good luck in yours and everyone's continued paint adventures!

Chris