[CBQ] 1897 Chalco incident

To: "cbq@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] 1897 Chalco incident
From: "Dave Burk" <dsburkea@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 08:13:38 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Hello,

I have two questions about an incident that happened in Chalco, Neb. In late June of 1897. A passenger on a train referred to in news articles as the Burlington fast freight (sometimes called a stock train but that definitely had at least some boxcars) was shot during an attempted robbery as he got off the train.

Here are my questions:

  1. If a person had a pass to ride a freight train, where would he or she ride? Would a freight train have a specific place for passengers?
  2. For a train called a fast freight, this particular train stopped in Lincoln, then again in Ashland, and again in Chalco, then in Omaha. Why so many stops? I would have thought a fast freight would have been straight through to a destination.

Thanks for any help. I’m pretty ignorant about trains—working on true crime. Thanks!

DB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61215) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_