Re: [CBQ] 547 West Jackson Boulevard

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 547 West Jackson Boulevard
From: "little-q@att.net" <trains@davidstreeter.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2020 14:21:34 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

I realize I'm drifting off topic, so I'll keep it brief.

In the 1970s, my father worked as a programmer/analyst for the University of Illinois at the Chicago Medical Center and he would occasionally take me in with him on a Saturday. The computer actually had video display terminals (green screens I think, or maybe amber) and he would park me at one and I'd play the Star Trek game. Keep in mind that my mother didn't like Trek, so we didn't watch the reruns and therefore, I didn't know anything about it. Once, I tried to fly to a big flashing icon, only to find out it was a supernova and it destroyed the ship. Another time, it didn't destroy the ship, but it disabled every possible action; I couldn't even self destruct. And if I got into a battle with the Klingons, I'd fire at one of them and then I had to just sit there while each of the six or so of them fired at me. By then, I was lucky if I could fire a second shot.

Q content: we got there by dinky, either to CUS and walk to the subway at Clinton, or to Cicero and walk to the Douglas L; either way, we rode the L to Polk St. Being a little kid, I like to stand at the door at the front of the cab car and pretend the door handle was the brake. I learned a little bit about how the crossovers and such were laid out and how the signals worked standing there. Once, the conductor asked me what the thunking sounds on the car floor were as we left Lisle; someone had put pieces of ballast on the rail and we ran over them.

--
David Streeter
Naperville, IL