Re: [CBQ] CB&Q General Office Building

To: "'Tom Hammer'" <hammermann1911@outlook.com>, <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q General Office Building
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 10:04:58 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Tom-

Not sure that you would have gone almost as far west as Ogden Avenue (Hermitage) but there was a St. Jarlath at 1713 West Jackson Blvd that was closed in 1969 due to the building becoming unsafe.  Closer would have been St. Patrick’s on Adams and Desplaines.  St. Peter’s on Madison is also possible v (and a safer walk given the neighborhood even “back in the day”….and you would have passed by All Nations Hobby Shop as a bonus!!

When I worked in the loop at Adams and Franklin I visited the General Office Building on a couple of occasions to beg for drawings from the Mechanical Department and Buildings and Bridges.   The latter was in a kind of attic on the top floor.

Would love to hear more about your memories of working there!!

Charlie Vlk

(from book online)

Locations of Chicago Roman Catholic Churches 1850 – 1990 By Jack Bochar

22. St. Jarlath - 1713 W. Jackson  1869 (Irish)

Closed 1969.

--1869 (approx.): Church at Jackson and Hermitage Ave as St Aloysius. Later known as St. Jarlath.

--1969 Closed. unsafe. Church razed in Sept. 1969. Congregation went to Holy Trinity at Taylor S1.

and Wolcott Ave.

.4. St. Patrick - Adams and Desplaines St  1846 (English-speaking) Records at: Old St. Patrick's .

--Apr. 12. 1846: Erected church at SW comer of Randolph and Desplaines.

--Oct. 1971: St. Paul Church merged with St. Patrick.