Re: [CBQ] [BRHSlist] Sand Company in Oregon, IL

To: CBQ@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [CBQ] [BRHSlist] Sand Company in Oregon, IL
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 11:35:53 -0800
On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 12:22 PM, David wrote:
Martin Marietta's Oregon mine was operated by its Manley Sand Co. division.
Some good historical info on the National Silica plant is now posted on the Oregon Depot Museum website: http://www.findglocal.com/US/Oregon/710739919105455/Oregon-Illinois-Depot

According to the website: "The National Silica complex... has had many other names over the years, Portage-Manley, Martin-Marietta, Manley and Unimin to name a few. The plant was built in 1909."

The aerial photo of the plant on the Museum website was (is?) hanging in the sand plant's office. I photographed it about 15 years ago when I was visiting Oregon. I was able to basically date it based on the paint schemes on the Q covered hoppers but can't recall what I came up with.

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

View/Reply Online (#60857) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic