Further To [CBQ] Burning Up The Ballast At Altona

To: "cbq@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: Further To [CBQ] Burning Up The Ballast At Altona
From: "Louis Zadnichek via groups.io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 21:39:27 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
October 29, 2020

Bill - You're of course entirely correct.  I wasn't wearing my glasses and hit a "2" instead of a "1" like I should've and didn't catch the typo. My mistake. Many of the durable S-1's were later modernized into S-1-A's, not S-2-A's that were an entirely different class.  THANKS for setting the record straight. I need you as my proof reader more often..... - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

= = = =

Louis,

The S-1s weren’t reclassified as S-2-As when they were rebuilt in the 1920s. They were reclassified as S-1-As. and retained their same numbers. The S-2s were a separate group of locomotives built in 1910 and numbered 2900 - 2949. Like the S-1s, most of them were also rebuilt in the 1920s and reclassified as S-2-As. The primary upgrades for both groups of locomotives was the elimination of the inside piston valves and Stephenson valve gear. The new cylinder assemblies had the piston valve located on top of the cylinders and new Walschaerts valve gear. A few locomotives in each group were never rebuilt. No. 2918, for instance, was photographed by my dad around 1938 or 1939 and was subsequently retired the in 1939. The S-2s had slightly high tractive effort than the S-1s. The S-1s were all built between 1906 and 1909. They were numbered 2800 - 2869.

Bill

- - - -