Re: [CBQ] Sheridan-Naperville via Joliet

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Sheridan-Naperville via Joliet
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 20:52:45 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Andrew,

Per page 1066-1072 of the Corporate History of the CB&Q the Joliet,Rockford and Northern was granted a Illinois charter on 6/20/1881. It was to be between Joliet and Rockford via Sheridan. On May 1,1882 the line was leased to the CBQ(the officers of the JR &N were also officers of the CBQ). On Nov.27,1882 the line from Sheridan Jct to Paw Paw via Baker and Earlville was completed. It totaled 19 and 54/100 miles. We should remind ourselves that in those times charters were requested in the most broad terms possible just in case ........

I too have heard of the proposed line from Naperville to Joliet. There was a track, known as the “city track” running due south from the mainline in Naperville to the Quarry. We could speculate that possibly it’s intended destination may have been Joliet.

Personally I have always been doubtful about a bypass from Sheridan to Joliet to Naperville. It’s route is way out of the way and adds many miles to the bulk of traffic handled. It is my personal opinion based years of researching the Q in NE Illinois, reading extensively about natural resource mining in the same area that the JR&N was the Q’s attempt to reach the coal fields SW of Joliet in the neighborhood of Coal City,etc. In this time period it was coal that drove line building. Streator had extensive coal deposits that the Q was hauling. The IV &N between Streator and Walnut Jct was built in large part to move Streator and La Salle coal North toward St Paul,etc. I suspect the segment of the JR & N that was actually built was a short cut for Streator coal toward Sterling/Rockfalls and also to St Paul via the then existing Paw Paw to Shabbona line.

I know there are others who may disagree with my hypothesis and believe the Q did intend a by pass. As an old RR operating guy it just doesn’t compute to me. It was hard enough to get a crew over the road under the 16 hour rules of service(hog law) without adding many more miles of single track running on branch lines. My research has turned up a consistent number of crews running from Galesburg to Cicero that ran out of time and were tied up Eola while in route.

I did work on trains over tracks that had been the JR &N in the 1970s. The line from Earlville to Baker ran across relatively flat farm country. The line from Earlville to Paw Paw traversed a more rolling landscape and the builders simply cut through the knobs and hills. In winter these cuts would fill up with drifted snow. This branch was a headache and costly to keep open during a snowy, windy winter.

Leo Phillipp