Re: [CBQ] Fw: Looking for Bi-Level Interior Details

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Fw: Looking for Bi-Level Interior Details
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 17:15:23 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Here’s an interesting tid bit that I don’t think is commonly known outside the employee ranks. And only by even a limited number of those.

The cars that Charlie references as Condr. Compartments were called locker cars. There was an assigned locker car to each job(crew) on suburban service. Very similar to assigned waycars. So that locker car had to be in their train on their next run. So, for example a crew yarding their train at 14th st., would (Yes, contrary to common misconception, suburban men backed their trains, both direction between CUS and 14th st.Everything I have found in union files clearly show suburban crews backing both ways between 14th st and CUS from immediately after WWII to when all trains became push pull. Maybe earlier, yard pilots were the used for suburban equipment. In order to work passenger of any kind men had to be qualified on not only CUS rules but have passed a backup test at CUS.)  have their locker car on its outbound equipment.

Think about all the switching required at 14th st and Aurora to keep a locker car with its crew. Men did not handle the same equipment on all their runs each day. A Crew might work a nine car train into CUS and a two or three car train out to Aurora and back. Go to 14th st and come out wit another nine car train.
Additionally yard crews at each end had to switch power cars,baggage,REA and the occasional Zephyr equipment being shuttled to/from the Aurora shops.

The men could keep their equipment, uniforms,etc in the locker. The locker cars were on a local agreement that was given up in the 60s for something that I no longer remember what it was.

While no longer assigned to them by the 70s some guys used them as their personal locker.
I will never forget the day when “peanuts” got on the radio at 14th st wanting to know what the yard had done with a particular car that he expected to be in his evening back up from the yard.He got an immediate reply from yardmaster “twiggy”. “Peanuts” marched over to that track and recovered the two “card tables” he had in that locker. His card playing outbound riders
Would have been upset and not tipped “peanuts” for having their tables in place. The card
Tables were the wooden backing sheets that the new, replacement windows were
Shipped between.

Leo Phillipp