Re: [CBQ] Timetable storage

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Timetable storage
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 13:43:26 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I was off to the Archive work day on the 15th and also worked the 16th and 17th with arrangements with Jim.
I store my timetables in page protectors in notebooks (see attached)
Vol.  1   Suburban  and 1900-1929
Vol. 2    1930-1939
Vol. 3    1940-1949
Vol. 4    1950-1959
Vol. 5    1960-1970  with the first two and only BN public timetables before Amtrak
Vol. 6    C&S  FWD
The black notebook on the right is C of Ga.
One problem with paper is the acid content which will discolor it and also tapes and glues will react and off gas melting metal staples and paper clips.
I was pulling staples at Archive Work sessions and had three hand fulls out of our BRHS File cabinet C  top draw often they were so rusted you could not pull out.
Another problem is folding paper as time tables are along the stapled edge and then folded in half breaks down the fibers of the paper and they often will come apart due to fiber separation at the folds.
After working three days in Baraboo I stopped off at the C of Ga. archives which are at the Editor/Presidents house east of Nashville, visited my "Little" Brother then came home.
Need to get some work done so can work up the notes on the CB&N and other material I worked on. and have some good notes to do some more writing

The Masked Archivist.