Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Step Box

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Step Box
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 15:48:57 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
One last tidbit. The metal box attached underneath was most likely made in the tin shop at the Aurora shops.

Leo

On Aug 30, 2020, at 1:15 PM, Louis Zadnichek via groups.io <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

August 30, 2020

Keith - Thanks. Speculation on my part, but from taking a closer look at your images, I'm inclined to believe that your wood step box spent most if not all of its "working life" in an Aurora Shops office.  There is minimal wear on the top and the four hard rubber "feet" on the bottom show almost no wear at all.

If the step box had been used in daily passenger or suburban train service, there would be a lot more wear on the top from passengers' shoes and boots, plus the bottom "feet" would be compressed and worn down, too. We'll never know at this late date, but I think your grand father "rescued" it from an office.

Since your grand father had been a "railroad bull" during the Depression, you can also speculate that the step box came from his office and that he had once rested his feet upon it. People often "save" mementos as they mean something to them from the past.  May be this is your step box's story - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL