Re: [CBQ] Weighing Cars ?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Weighing Cars ?
From: "ken thompson" <mailboat4@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 23:43:03 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hi Leo,

Do you think they were still weighing those cars in 1980, or maybe later or earlier than that?

Ken Thompson

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 8:14 PM Leo Phillipp via groups.io <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
When I worked the Rochelle,IL night road switcher in 1973 and in Eola yard in 1974 some cars were required to be weighed. The tallow cars out of Swift at Rochelle went to Rockford to be weighed and then back to be picked up for further transit. At Eola I recall weighing scrap loads in the east yard .

I also remember the stories of weighing all the sand loads out of Ottawa Silica and the gravel loads out of Sheridan for hours at a time.

But then later everything seemed to be shown as carload, noted as C/L with a further notation of “shippers weight and count” on waybills.

When and why was the weighing of cars no longer required ? Was it as simple as going to a flat carload price by commodity, whether the shipper fully loaded the car or not ?

Leo Phillipp

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60202) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic