[CBQ] Weighing Cars ?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Weighing Cars ?
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 20:14:01 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
When I worked the Rochelle,IL night road switcher in 1973 and in Eola yard in
1974 some cars were required to be weighed. The tallow cars out of Swift at
Rochelle went to Rockford to be weighed and then back to be picked up for
further transit. At Eola I recall weighing scrap loads in the east yard .

I also remember the stories of weighing all the sand loads out of Ottawa Silica
and the gravel loads out of Sheridan for hours at a time.

But then later everything seemed to be shown as carload, noted as C/L with a
further notation of “shippers weight and count” on waybills.

When and why was the weighing of cars no longer required ? Was it as simple as
going to a flat carload price by commodity, whether the shipper fully loaded
the car or not ?

Leo Phillipp