Re: [CBQ] Painting acrylic car sides

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Painting acrylic car sides
From: "Gordon Smith" <kc2bw@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 11:06:41 -0400
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Nelson...

I didn't use the acrylic sides on my car, rather I cut styrene sides to replace them.
If you compare the acrylic sides to scale drawings, the dimensions aren’t
prototypically correct. If that doesn't bother you, by all means use the acrylic sides.

I have two sets of plans. The sides match the one set perfectly. If you
measured with a scale ruler the plans in the Bulletin, they are not full
size S scale. They are under size. And there is a discrepancy in the
truck spacing dimension between the two plans. 50' 2" vs 54' 2".

 Since you want to use an acrylic paint, I recommend you either media
blast or lightly sand the sides with #600 grit sandpaper to provide
tooth for the primer and paint.

I want to use the Model Flex for it's better adherence and the fact that
decals literally disappear when finished. And I do prefer the darker shade.

 DO NOT use Tru Color primer, it won't stick to resin, and it probably
won't stick to acrylic sides either.
I called Tru Color about using their paint. The person I spoke to was
familiar with the acrylic sides, and recommended the light primer and
grit blasting if I want to. So I will do the blasting.

 The best prime available for resin and probably acrylic is Tamiya Fine
Light Gray Primer. It's a lacquer that's available in rattle cans.

I will give that a try on my next project. I'll have to transfer it to
the air brush.

As for Scalecoat, I like it for spraying, but I am reading on another
group that it is not so easy to get direct lately, and no store here has
it anymore.

I'll wait to see what others might have to offer before I make my final
decision on the paint.

Thanks

Gordon Smith