Re: [CBQ] Autoparts Movement

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Autoparts Movement
From: "Larry Owen via groups.io" <Llarryo1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 14:32:58 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I'm following this tread as I worked in the replacement auto parts chain and never saw an 86' car in service.

I hired in at General Motors Parts Division in '71. I worked at the GM Parts Distribution Center (warehouse) for the Chicago area in Broadview, IL. We supplied service parts to dealers in northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin, northwest Indiana, and eastern Iowa. I primarily worked in the shipping dept, but would occasionally help out in receiving.

We received incoming parts via truck and rail. We would receive a daily switch of 6-9 40' and 50' boxcars. Most were mixed commodities packaged for distribution to our dealerships(vendors) who would use them themselves or resell them to other garages and repair shops.
Our rail service was provided by the Indiana Harbor Beltway(IHB). As best as I know, the IHB handled our boxcars through their Clearing yard. Our facility was on the east side of their ROW and was handled on a southbound local.

As a side note, our building looked very much like the Heljan(?) State Prison with a two story office complex in front of a 400,000 sq ft cinder block warehouse.
I built this kit to represent us on my layout.

I suspect the larger 60' and 86' boxcars were used primarily for moving parts from outside manufacturers or our inhouse stamping and/or parts manufacturing plants to the assembly plants. A percentage were sent to packaging for distribution to our replacement parts warehousing system.

Larry Owen
Bolingbrook, IL

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device