Re: [CBQ] Autoparts Movement

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Autoparts Movement
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 11:11:40 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Rick,

Ford had a very tight relationship with the Wabash. And the Wabash served their southeast Michigan plants. So this traffic was routed Wabash from Michigan to St. Louis.

Trains or Classic Trains magazine had a article a few years ago that the Rock Island at one time had the leg from Chicago to Denver on the Ford Fast (I think in the 1970s), but lost it due to inconsistent delivery times as their track deteriorated. I think the article said the Michigan-Chicago leg was via GTW.

Hopefully Fred Crissey will reply here. Here is a reply Fred sent me a few years ago about auto traffic via St. Louis:

"Question 4 on St. Louis.  The Q did not handle any assembly parts from the east.  There was a small move of auto glass from Libby-Owens-Ford (LOF) at Ottawa, IL to GM at St. Louis.  These moved in 50ft cars which were replaced by 60ft cars in about 1968.  The routing was CB&Q-TRRA although there was a few cars that moved CBQ-Peoria-IT.  LOF was a big vendor of glass for GM.  I this is what I will call "vendor" traffic.  There was another vendor move of dashboard panels from Sheller Globe at Keokuk to all of the "Big 3".  Some of this did move to Ford, GM, and Chrysler St. Louis area plants for a while.  This moved started in about 1968.  They moved in 50ft box cars.  The routing would be via Q-TRRA although the Robertson Ford cars could have been delivered direct to the Wabash/N&W at North St. Louis.  These moves were for assembly plants. "

Bill Hirt