Re: [CBQ] Motor cars

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Motor cars
From: "jpslhedgpeth via groups.io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 20:17:22 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
The '69" is my favorite motorcar..She was the power for the Hastings-Huntley local summer 1956 when I worked that job for two weeks..  I'm not sure when the "rear" end was painted wiht the red-yellow colors.  I don't remember that she looked like that nor did I realize until I got "hooked up" with this outfit that she was a double end car.  Our engineer Kenny Froscheiser whose son Curtis appears on these groups from time to time was the engineer..  I don't think that he ever changed ends.  Here's the routine only  one section of which would have "necessitated" a change of ends. On Monday-"Wednesday and Friday we ran Hastings -Huntley..turned on the wye at Huntley then and returned to Hastings.   On Tuesday and Thursday we ran over the mainline from Hastings -Sutton and then north to Lushton.  At Lushton there was a wye which it seems had been built there when the line between McCool Jct and Sutton was abandoned in 1955.  We would turn the car on the wye at Lushton and head back to Sutton...From there (still going in the same direction we would head south over the former KC&O to Clay Center...If we had any cars for CC we would "drop" them in.  We would then shove back north waycar ahead and the 68 pulling whatever we picked up and shoving the waycar.   At Sutton all we had to do was re arrange our train and then head back to Hastings with the 69 on the head end as God intended.

On my last day on that job the traction motor was overheating and we were at the west end of the Siding at Sutton.  It was found necessary to pour some water...yest that's right Pour some water. on the traction motor.  Well guess who was lying on the ground under the front (only powered truck) pouring water from a can handed to him by Kenny.

I think that  the car went to Lincoln for repairs after than and I never saw her again.  Later I learned that she was sold to the "Southern Iowa" Railroad at Centerville IA former electric road.  I' not sure where she went from there...Seems like I did see a picture of the 69 sitting in the dead line at Lincoln in one of the  Color Burlington Books.  I think she went on to her ultimate demise from the Southern Iowa.

Everything in the first two paragraphs here are as true as I can make them.from personal experience.  Everything after that is "thought to be true, but not guaranteed.

Pete