Re: [CBQ] Classic Trains: The day Burlington Northern showed the way

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Classic Trains: The day Burlington Northern showed the way
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 10:34:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hol,

I am glad to see your comments about Lou Menk. I had the opportunity to meet
him as an EMD employee one time and came away impressed. He was an imposing
figure, tall and rugged looking, but you quickly found that he was also very
knowledgeable about railroads, their operation, finances and he was dedicated
to the success of the BN. While I was certainly among those rail fans that were
extremely disappointed by his decision to cancel the overhaul of 5632 and to
end fan trips in general, in retrospect, I understand that his focus was on a
much larger task. First and foremost, a railroad is a business and nostalgia
isn’t one of its drivers. Six years after the 5632 decision, the BN was formed
and in a sea of change that was occurring in the rail industry, it was a beacon
that led the way to success. Lou Menk certainly played a part in that success.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO