Re: [CBQ] Classic Trains: The day Burlington Northern showed the way

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Classic Trains: The day Burlington Northern showed the way
From: "Stephen Levine via Groups.Io" <sjl_prodigynet=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 23:23:53 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hol, what high school did you graduate from? I also grew up in Denver and graduated from George Washington High School

On Mar 7, 2020, at 4:25 PM, HOL WAGNER <holpennywagner@msn.com> wrote:

Railfans did dislike Menk, both because he discontinued the steam excursions and also worked to discontinue passenger trains.  But he was certainly what the newly merged BN needed at that time.  I had an unexpected opportunity in 1971 or '72 to talk with him at length, and he was very knowledgable about the feelings of railfans toward him but pointed out that he wasn't managing the railroad for the fans.  He was in Denver on an official visit, using his office car, which by that time was the ex-GN "Red River," and he saw me on the platform at Denver Union Station taking photos of the car and came out to ask what I was doing.  I told him, mentioning that I was producing the BN Annuals and that we both graduated from the same high school in Denver.  He quickly invited me aboard the car and we sat in the rear lounge area and talked for nearly an hour.  A week or two later I received a letter from him thanking me for my interest in the railroad.  He had to have someone find my address for him, as I had not given it to him.

Hol