Re: [CBQ] ORER research

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] ORER research
From: "Jack Schroeder" <jack@highlandwebworks.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 09:06:22 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Okay, yes, I know about the ORER. I did not know about the history of the Equipment Register, that is interesting. We had a copy of Equip. Register as we called it in our Ag Marketing office. This was not often needed in my office. The equipment folks all had copies of it.

The other 'Official' was the Railroad Guide. Most of us had our own copies (hand-me-downs) of the Official Railroad Guide in our personal office or "cube", as a way of finding names and contacts at smaller branch line roads to deal with pricing and service issues.

Then there is a third book. Those of us in marketing had a lot of interaction with the publishers of the OPSL or Open and Prepaid Station List, Mrs Talbet and the her lawyer who later purchased the OPSL from her. I can't remember his name. They were located in St. Louis. He tired to put the data on-line rather then publish it in paper book form. It was a dismal system.  Eventually it was sold to Railinc, the official railroad owned body that passed freight rates electronically between carriers.   They were the ones who set the station numbers for points where shipments could originate or terminate. These were called the OPSL station numbers as opposed to the FSAC station numbers used by each railroad's operating and accounting departments - Freight Station Accounting Code. The two station numbers sources did not agree on numbers for the same station.

And one other necessary book was the STCC book. The Standard Transportation Commodity Code book. We all needed copes of it. All rates were defined according to STCC numbers, never by names like 'wheat' or 'corn'.

Thanks of the info.

---
Jack Schroeder
817 485-1922