Re: [CBQ] boiler explosion record Jan 1911 WY?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] boiler explosion record Jan 1911 WY?
From: "Louis Zadnichek via Groups.Io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 16:15:54 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
November 27, 2019

Winton - Your perspective from having been a Lines West locomotive engineer always makes for interesting posts. I enjoy reading each and every one of them.  Thanks for reaching out to Eric and helping him locate the spot near Ranchester, WY, where his great uncle was blown to Glory in the boiler explosion.

Since you ran on the Black Hills line, I'm attaching an image of CB&Q Class D-4-A 2-8-0 type No. 3112 and Class K-5 4-6-0 type No. 800 "giving it all they had" double heading an excursion train in May 1910.  The exact location on the Black Hills line is not identified, but you probably ran trains over it in later years.

In the image, if you look closely. you'll see that there's a steam boiler in the front of the baggage car. Someone in the car department had put a whistle on the car. The boiler would've been piped to an adjacent small turbo generator for electricity to illuminate the cars with. There's also a brave trainman riding 3112's foot board.

Winton, Eric and everyone on this always amazing List, Best Thanksgiving Wishes to you and family on this blessed Holiday weekend - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL