Re: [CBQ] Illinois Model Train Stores

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Illinois Model Train Stores
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 10:06:58 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Scott,

Agree with Eric on Valley Roundhouse.  Inventory is stacked floor to ceiling. A throwback to the old hobby shop days. Another shop a friend of mine in Normal let me know about is McLean Depot Train Shop in McLean, Illinois. It is about 10-15 miles south of Bloomington on I-55 in the former GM&O depot in McLean (just west of I-55). Very good inventory and 20% off everything. Only shop I've ever been to that discounts Molocco cars.

If you are interested in locomotives and rolling stock at good prices, Lombard Hobbies in Lombard along the former CGW tracks is a good stop.

For a different experience, go to Zientek's Model Trains south of the former Q mainline on Damen Ave in Chicago. Cash only. Located in a former tavern, the shop the last time I was there is on the second floor. Back when it was also a tavern, his mom tended bar and they had a display case of brass locomotives in the bar area.

Bill Hirt