Re: [CBQ] Looking for a Microscale O Scale Decal

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Looking for a Microscale O Scale Decal
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2019 23:50:30 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hi Glen & Bill B:

I recently received 3-rail versions of E5A #9915A Silver CARRIER & E5B Silver POWER (#9910B, although the numbers are not on the unit).

I think that the models are FANTASTIC with the exception of the silver paint (versus a metal-ized stainless-steel finish) & the Silver names.  My understanding is that Scott selected silver paint to match Atlas O's 21" (85' scale) California Zephyr cars.  I do not own any of Atlas O's CZ cars because they are too big for me.  I prefer the 15" (60' scale) & 18" (70' scale) 3-rail plated-aluminum CZ cars from Lionel, K-Line, MTH, Weaver, & Williams.  They shine & gleam much like the 1/1 scale Silver PILOT & NZ at IRM and the PZ at CMSI.

Because the photo in 3rd Rail's newsletter & website showed a photo of IRM's E5A Silver PILOT, I assumed that E5A Silver PILOT #9911A & E5B Silver MATE #9911B would be among the delivered models.  Silver CARRIER is my least favorite E5A name; it does not evoke western imagery to me.  It sounds like Silver AIR-CONDITIONER, especially when paired with Silver POWER-(GENERATOR) !!!

There is a thread on OGR Forum titled "E6" with photos from several folks with the E5AA sets Silver ARROW & Silver SWIFT and Silver CARRIER & Silver CLIPPER.  I would have been fine with S. ARROW, S. SWIFT, or S. CLIPPER (but never had the choice).  I also did not realize at the time of my reservation that I could have ordered an E5 AA set instead of an E5 AB set.  I stated my disappointment on the OGR Forum thread & contacted Scott Mann via e-mail.  I wanted to trade my E5 AB set for a different set with different names.  However, they only had 2 unclaimed sets which were also S. CARRIER & S. POWER.

Scott Mann called me on Wed 08/07/2019.  He had a few extra name plates for Silver PILOT & Silver SPEED.  He sent me 4 name plates for Silver SPEED so that I can rename my E5A (I will send back to Scott any unused name plates so that they are available for other customers who may also want to change their Silver names).  To me, the Phase I & Phase II E5A versions are >95% the same, so it would not bother me at all (and would have delighted me thoroughly) to have had the Phase I names S. SPEED & S. PILOT on these E5A models right direct from the factory.

He suggested that I attach the new name plates over the old name plates with 3M Super 77 glue, which is what the Chinese factory uses.  Do any of you have any experience with 3M Super 77 ??  Should I remove the old S. CARRIER name plates first ??   If yes, how do I do that without damaging the model in the process ??

Because Scott was offering his E5 & E6 models in their "as-delivered" appearances, there were no E5/E6 model plates or road numbers on the cab sides.  I too want to add these details but can not find commercially available E5 decals in O scale.  I do have Microscale's HO versions of the CB&Q E-5 decals and HO CZ car name decals.  I am looking into enlarging these on decal paper from HO (1/87) to O scale (1/48) by enlarging them 181% (100% x 87/48 = 181%).  I purchased these Microscale decals within the last 5 years at Des Plaines Hobbies (will have to dig them out of the basement).  I understand that Microscale offers Trim-Fitdecal paper in clear, silver, & stainless-steel colors.

Scott Mann plans to obtain extra #9910A & #9911A road numbers for the illuminated number boards.  He will have to bring them back after his next trip from China.   Do any of you know if it is possible to make these ourselves ??

I am planning to attend the BRHS 2019 Fall Meet in Sandwich IL this SEP-2019.  This year is the 70th anniversary of the CZ, so I am planning on a display with the 3rd Rail E5 AB, MTH E6 AA, and various plated aluminum CZ sets from Lionel & K-Line.

I will keep you posted on my re-naming & decal printing projects.

CB&Q Bill
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57889) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic