Re: [CBQ] Magazine and book resources

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Magazine and book resources
From: "sellarsmark_aus via Groups.Io" <sellarsmark_aus=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 23:45:20 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Greetings Hol!

As always your research and willingness to share is peerless.

Mark

On Friday, 26 July 2019, 11:08:41 pm ACST, HOL WAGNER <holpennywagner@msn.com> wrote:

Mark:

Unfortunately, no, I still do not have a copy of the 1899 JOA.  Years ago I asked for a copy of the document from the Colorado Historical Society (I'm a stubborn old goat and refuse to use the History Colorado name, which I associate with their present status as an entertainment center for children), when I found it in their C&S archives.  I got a big bunch of other copies of a great variety of C&S documents and correspondence, but not the JOA and the CHS library could never find it again.  All this was well before they moved to their current quarters and further misplaced many of their holdings.  They have become a nearly useless organization when it comes to preserving Colorado history.

The Santa Fe and C&S predecessor entities worked in close accord at both Pueblo and Denver right from the start, the Santa Fe granting the Denver, Texas & Gulf/Denver, Texas & Fort Worth use of its "loop track" in Pueblo to reach the union depot there, while DT&G granted the Santa Fe the right to construct its own track on the DT&G right-of-way from South Denver to Denver Union Depot.  This was done under an 1887 agreement (which you probably have a copy of from Larry Green).  The DT&FW's 1887-88 line from Pueblo Junction up Salt Creek to Bessemer and the Colorado Coal & Iron Company iron and steel mill south of Pueblo was built by the DT&FW but with Santa Fe given a half interest in it and an equal right to serve the Philadelphia smelter, stockyards and Nuckolls Packing Plant near the steel mill.  The Santa Fe in 1887 surveyed a line in Denver that split off its mainline in the union depot and continued on along the bank of the South Platte River to 15th St. before crossing the river and turning north and then east to served the Argo and Globe smelters and the Denver Union Stockyards.  Only the portion as far as 14th St. was built, as construction of the West Side Line by the UPD&G in 1890 obviated the need for the rest of the Santa Fe line, as the Santa Fe was given access to the facilities it hoped to served with its own line.  And there are numerous instances of further close cooperation between the two roads right from the time the Santa Fe reached Denver in 1887.

At least three times during the 1890s, newspaper reports detailed plans for the two roads to begin use of the other's tracks between Denver and Pueblo, the most unlikely one calling for the Santa Fe to abandon its own trackage in favor of the inferior UPD&G route.  But there was very clearly talk of the two roads using the same trackage almost from the time the Santa Fe's Denver line was completed.  We may never know who or what actually precipitated the start of negotiations in 1899 leading to the original JOA.

Hol