Re: [CBQ] MILW Tower Operator's Board at Savanna, IL

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] MILW Tower Operator's Board at Savanna, IL
From: "Tom Mack via Groups.Io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 18:31:06 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM, Ted Schnepf wrote:
It is interesting to note there are three pairs of diamonds on the model board for three Milw tracks to cross the Q.  I believe the lower pair went to Milw industries by the river and possibly a EB Q interchange track?
Ted,

As Leo mentioned this track went from the MILW yard, crossed the twin Q mains, and then ran between the Q main and the river. Once across, their was/is a large elevator on the river that was serviced by the MILW. Not sure if it has always been grain, but it is now Consolidated Grain & Barge and has some sort of barge loading/unloading apparatus. The elevator and any other industries served were north of the diamonds. Once north, as thetrack layout on the board shows, there was a cut back to the Q main.

Some time back I asked a question about MILW-Q interchange in Savanna. I can't recall if it was on this group or the MILW group. The answer I got for the Q in the 60's was as Leo mentioned - the interchange was actually done with transfers between the yards. The MILW group mentioned it was usually one of the many MILW F-M H10-44 or H12-44 switchers assigned to Savanna (which, BTW, was a great excuse to put a much desired F-M switcher on my layout). Also mentioned was it ran without a caboose. As I recall there was also some mention of it picking up cars at the Q yard, so that the locomotive did not run light back to the MILW yard. I can't recall if there was a reciprocal transfer from the Q to MILW. With all the traffic on the Q and MILW mains, it may have made sense to just have the MILW come over with cars, and then go back with cars, instead of making multiple transfer moves that would have to cross the diamonds multiple times. Then again, in the 1960's a lot of union rules may have come into play that required both railroads to run their own transfers, despite the tie up getting over multiple sets of diamonds in such a close proximity!

Maybe someone else can add further to the interchange operations, but my research showed it definitely was yard to yard, not by means of an interchange track.

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57506) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic