Re: [CBQ] Switcher at Leavenworth, KS 1961 (was 1957)

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Switcher at Leavenworth, KS 1961 (was 1957)
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 16:34:49 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Rick,

I had forwarded Dallas' reply to Jim Will who is from Leavenworth.

I received this back from Jim. He is a retired C&NW engineer and long time railroad historian for Leavenworth, Kansas. He said I could go ahead and post this on this list:

“From what I can recall about the Q at Leavenworth is they worked daylight. The main thing for them was Bay State. I do know they got a few switches a day. In the early 60's, this would be a lot of 40 foot boxcar traffic loads with wheat, XF type cars for bag loads and air slides for bulk flour (more bulk loading towards the end). They used a lot of MOP 110xxx XF flour boxcars and also ATSF XF boxcars. Bay State had also leased I think some GATX airslides.

The Q interchanged with the MOP & UP near the Leavenworth Union Depot. The MOP & UP delivered to the Q.  I do remember seeing the UP delivering several times 10 car blocks to the Q. I never saw the UP haul any loads from the Q. I think most of the wheat that Bay State used came in on the ATSF. The last ATSF agent (last name Kessinger Jim thinks), told me that the ATSF had a deal to haul in wheat and get flour in return and gave a good rate to Bay State.

The Q also had other customers. Beverly Lumber received lumber on flatcars and boxcars and Bergman Coal got some coal. The Great Western Foundry received coke for making their products. Boxcar loads of paper was delivered to Sacks By the Tracks at 3rd and Choctaw (maybe received a couple of cars a week), and he remembers the Hay track as being used as a team track. Beer also came to town via the Q for Budweiser. At one time the Schlitz warehouse received beer. Most of these were not switched daily, just as needed. “

Bill Hirt