Re: [CBQ] Bev-Bel Blackhawk Car?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Bev-Bel Blackhawk Car?
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 09:54:25 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Charlie,

You might want to add Varney to the short list of Athearn competitors. Their
models were available up to about 1970, even though Gordan Varney sold the line
to Life Like in 1960 and passed away in 1965. When I first got into HO model
railroading in the early to mid 1950’s, the major manufacturers included
Varney, John English (one of my first locomotives was a John English pacific)
Bowser, Penn Line, Athearn, Walthers and as I recall, Main Line  Models. My dad
purchased some HO equipment prior to WWII. He had an AC Gilbert HO NYC Hudson
and a Walthers gas-electric which he modeled after one he rode on the CB&Q RR
and several freight cars. By the end of the war, the white metal that the
Hudson was made from disintegrated, but the gas-electric is still around, but
not running. While I still have some HO, my interests evolved toward O scale
some years ago. While we are reminiscing, does anyone remember when the
Lindberg freight trucks became available? Compared to other trucks available at
the time, they were very free rolling. I have about 50 pair in original boxes
that have never been used!

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO