Re: [CBQ] Bev-Bel Blackhawk Car?

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Bev-Bel Blackhawk Car?
From: oth@prairieweb.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 10:22:59 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Lindberg trucks came out about 1962. Larry

-----Original Message----- From: William Barber
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 8:54 AM
To: CBQ@groups.io

Charlie,

You might want to add Varney to the short list of Athearn competitors. Their models were available up to about 1970, even though Gordan Varney sold the line to Life Like in 1960 and passed away in 1965. When I first got into HO model railroading in the early to mid 1950’s, the major manufacturers included Varney, John English (one of my first locomotives was a John English pacific) Bowser, Penn Line, Athearn, Walthers and as I recall, Main Line Models. My dad purchased some HO equipment prior to WWII. He had an AC Gilbert HO NYC Hudson and a Walthers gas-electric which he modeled after one he rode on the CB&Q RR and several freight cars. By the end of the war, the white metal that the Hudson was made from disintegrated, but the gas-electric is still around, but not running. While I still have some HO, my interests evolved toward O scale some years ago. While we are reminiscing, does anyone remember when the Lindberg freight trucks became available? Compared to other trucks available at the time, they were very free rolling. I have about 50 pair in original boxes that have never been used!

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO