Re: [CBQ] [BRHSlist] BB #56

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] [BRHSlist] BB #56
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2018 18:26:57 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Richard,

First of all thank you for positive comments on the last Bulletin and thank you for your suggestions of the future.

In regards to your suggestions for multiple subject Bulletins, we have recently instituted doing this, as evidenced by having three of the last four Bulletins featuring multiple topics.  My intent as the Editor is to try to present a balance of the two types of Bulletins.  But also, include a variety of smaller articles (1-6 pages) in each Zephyr, so that every three months, the membership hopefully has something that interests them.  The schedule for the calendar year is a Zephyr in January and July with a Bulletin in April and October.  The board has discussed how to handle the longer articles because it involves budgetary concerns as well as honoring the work of the author.  The decision has been to present them in one issue if possible, not as serials, but there have been exceptions.  If you recall, the SD's were split into three Bulletins, the first two having been published, with the third on the C&S SD40s and Q SD45s still in process.  The Denver Zephyr Bulletins were large, but they too were split into Act I, the 1936 DZ and Act II, the 1956 DZ.  It is difficult to balance the interests of the authors and the interest of the members, but I hope that our track record speaks for itself.  Lastly on this topic, the number of articles that are published, are in direct relation to those that are ready to publish.  I have several who have said they are writing articles over the years, but they have yet to submit them for publication.

In regards to your suggestion of publishing a running list of articles in preparation, we have formally done this with the Call Board in every Zephyr since issue 1-14, and infrequently in prior issues of the Zephyr, in fact the first issue I did as the Zephyr Editor, Issue 1-08, had this list of future articles:
CB&Q/C&S/FW&D SD7s/SD9s                       - Dave Lotz
Quincy, Illinois                                               - Jim Miller
Galesburg-Mendota (IL) Way Freight              - Gerald Hamsmith
Dubuque (IA)/East Dubuque/Galena(IL) Area  - Jim Singer
Burlington Locomotive Coaling Stations             - Hol Wagner
Troop Kitchen Cars                                           - Gene Tacey

Of those, only one has been published - so far.  Since the Bulletin is a more formal publication, I don't want to include the Call Board there, but I will add a complete list of articles that I am aware of to the website in the next few days.

Finally, I hope everyone saw your list of articles that you would like to see in the future.  I can add this list to the website in addition to the Call Board.  Richard, I encourage you, and the rest of the members, to pick one topic that interests you and start doing the research on that topic, then prepare it in quasi-article form.  If Rupert can do this from New Zealand, how much easier is it for us who are in the states!  You don't need to be a polished author and present articles that are print-ready, that's what I get paid to do.  If I have text and illustrations, I can put them together for a polished, publishable article.  It takes volunteers to "man up" and do this.  It's not hard, but it is time consuming, unfortunately time that me as your Editor does not have.

Dave