Re: [CBQ] Old Eli

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Old Eli
From: "jpslhedgpeth via Groups.Io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 19:13:22 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Rupert.  I recall when all that discussion was going on a few years ago..In that discussion it was noted...and I had heard from other sources that the name was originally attached to a famed Racehorse from somewhere around St. Joe, MO...The saying was something like.."There goes OLD ELI"..and somehow that nick name found its way to the original  "American Royal"..the Q's overnight train between St. Joe and Chicago...Prior to the construction of the new Kansas City Cutoff   KC was not really a competive destination from Chicago for theQ.  The main train was the St. Joe  Chicago train.

Kansas city, prior to the KC Cut off was kind of a "side issue"...I rode with my grandfather more than once from St. Joe to Chicago on the old American Royal  (not a zephyr at that time...I recall sitting on a bench in front of the depot at Cameron (Jct) awaiting the arrival of the Kansas City connection...in the form of a motorcar...to arrive.

Pete