Re: [CBQ] Dynamometer Car Z / Northeastern Ambroid Kit

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Dynamometer Car Z / Northeastern Ambroid Kit
From: "Kenneth Middleton" <krmiddle@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 08:10:10 -0400
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Hi Charlie,

I corresponded with the late Joe Douda back in 1984/1985 about the Q’s dynamometers. He sent me data about two of them. One he said was CB&Q 204725, and sent me photocopies of a photo and diagram for this car. You are welcome to copies of both if you like. He stated that this car was built at Aurora in 7/1885 as CB&Q 90151, a thirty-foot car (as is shown in the diagram).The diagram shows a normal-width cupola with six windows in the side of the car body and end platforms. He stated that it was renumbered in 1904 to 204725 and converted to a work train caboose (retaining No. 204725) in November 1929, then scrapped at Eola in October 1934.

He also mentioned car 204726 which his records showed as being built in Aurora. He mentioned that some records indicated that the car was the former “CB&Q Z”, but that no original builder or date was shown. He did say that he had found notations indicating that the car was rebuilt in 1900 and retired in October 1929. He sent me a photocopy of Z which he said was made from a photocopy owned by a friend. Again, you are welcome to a copy if you like. It shows a side door, four windows, a narrow cupola and no platform on the end in the photo. (the narrow cupola appears similar to some early waycars in Randy Danniel’s book).

Best regards,

Ken Middleton

Portage, MI

krmiddle@charter.net