[CBQ] High/Wide Loads

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] High/Wide Loads
From: "Leo Phillipp via Groups.Io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 15:15:44 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Steve's post about the Boeing cars being restricted as wide loads has brought
to mind a couple things.

1) high/wide loads came in many forms and caused a lot of extra work for many
people/departments. All the physical measuring, then checking against
engineering clearances, routing plans, messages to crews, numerous attachments
to waybills(sometimes several, pages in length,etc,etc. For a real insight into
the shear tangled web of high/wide loads don't miss the BRHS Bulletin 56
article on the Earlville Turn and the "difficulties" that arose one night at
Caterpillar in Montgomery,IL. It's coming to BRHS members later this fall.

2) one night we picked up westbound at Eola and in the slug was a wheel loader
on a flat destined to somewhere in the Pacific NW. As we left Eola I perused
the waybills. Now generally a high/wide,load had any numbers of
messages,clearances,colored notes, etc. attached to the waybill. In addition
with your train orders would be a message stating # such and such is picking up
car so and so at X and this car "MUST NOT.........".
We had no such message, and as I read the waybills there was nothing attached
to any of the bills. But my eye caught a bunch of text in the comments section
of the bill for the wheel loader. There in the fine print was typed"this load
will not clear the highway bridge at Polo,IL. Car just be routed via Galesburg,
Denrock and Savanna. We were going out the C& I via Rochelle,Oregon,Polo,etc.

So I got on the radio and advised all concerned of what I had just read. We
ended up setting the car out on the incline track at Spring St in Aurora before
proceeding out the C & I. I've often wandered who's behind would have been in
the hot seat if we'd have given that nice new shiny end loader a big hair cut ?!

Leo