Re: [CBQ] 4960 @ Earlville,IL ?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 4960 @ Earlville,IL ?
From: "Leo Phillipp via Groups.Io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 07:47:17 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Bill,

The other single track branch in Earlville was the line that originally ran from "Sheridan Jct",later know as Burgess jct and then finally as Catherine on the Fox River branch to and at one time through Earlville to Paw Paw. The wye you reference was built after this east side line (built as the Joliet,Rockford and Northern) was truncated at the double track east/west main and then only curved around along the main on the south side with other town service tracks. There was a switch just east of the CNW Xing off main two to access what we referred to as the "Baker Main" as after about 1957 the branch only went from Earlville to Baker when a bridge was burned and not replaced.

For in depth maps and histories of both branches out of Earlville pick a copy of BRHS Bulletin 54 with the article on the "Sterling Motor Car".

By the way the last steam powered passenger train on the Rockfalls branch operated in 1925 or 26. Again this info. Is in BB 54. After that date a motor car was operated until that was dropped and one could ride the wayfreight which operated as a mixed train.

By the way we had a nice exchange of stories at the Amboy presentation about non cash payments for fares on the Oregon Turn mixed.

Leo