Re: [CBQ] Request for Aurora-Chicago material

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Request for Aurora-Chicago material
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 13:24:35 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

All-

I have already received offers of photos and material  from Ken Martin, Bud Linroth and Steve Holding!  Thanks to them for responding!

I should also mention that Rupert Gamlen has been tirelessly uncovering bits and pieces of information which I have much appreciated from what may be the prime hotbed of CB&Q research….New Zealand!!!  Glen Haug has also contributed through his documentation of historic MP locations for long-gone and largely forgotten places on the East End which are part of his research into CB&Q Signals which provide a framework for the research.

Jim Singer was kind enough to provide copies from the BRHS Archives of a 1885 Chaining Notes which document the civil engineer’s location of stations and other features in the 1885-1890 era from Chicago to Aurora.

It appears to me that the material so far and to be uncovered is much too voluminous for a book (certainly not one that I would underwrite publication of as a print version would probably be North of over $100 a copy) and also far too extensive for publication and detailed as a Bulletin or series thereof.

The plan at this time is to assemble the material into book-like digital format that can be used by the BRHS and members for Bulletin and Zephyr articles.

To give an idea of the extent of the research there are in excess of 70 chapters ….there is at least a page of material for each town/depot/location of significance on the Aurora-Chicago main line and some supporting chapters such as relevant Michigan Central,  Galena & Chicago Union, technology employed on the line, and some other topics of related interest.   Some locations are material rich and run into the tens of pages.

“Publication” is likely to not happen until next year as there are many loose ends in the research and my concentration is still in the information gathering area.  I do not have a good feel for how many people have any interest in the history of the Aurora Branch, Chicago & Aurora, and early days of the CB&Q but stitching together information from a very wide variety of sources (many far afield from the railroad industry) has been and is a source of great enjoyment for me.   I hope to share some of the more interesting tidbits in future clinics and hopefully when digital copies of the “book” are ready some Bulletin, Zephyr and other BRHS articles will be of interest to the members.

Charlie Vlk

PS-  I am aware of and have been in contact with another researcher working on a closely allied book on the Chicago-Aurora line of the CB&Q.  His focus is on the socio-economic and real estate development of the Burlington in the Chicago region and we are sharing information as he is not focusing on the railroad physical plant.