Re: [CBQ] The St. Paul Accord ?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] The St. Paul Accord ?
From: "Fred Crissey" <fhc925@frontier.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 17:07:32 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Leo:  This subject is "a can of worms".  First of all it was/is illegal to change the routing instructions on a Bill Of Lading.  A Bill of Lading was/is a contract between the one paying the freight and the carrier(railroad).  In the time period you have specified you have pretty well described the reason for the increases.  When I was in the Sales Department in Detroit one of the things that pushed one of my "hot" buttons was the relationships the "Northerns" had with the CNW, RI, MNS, etc.  We (CB&Q) had a "routing guide" that said traffic going to the Northerns from Chicago had to be taken to St. Paul.  We were forbidden to route to route traffic to/from the Northerns via Laurel MT as an example unless the Q received the traffic at KCity.  I have a lot of stories about this subject.  I do know that after Mr. Menk arrived on the property he was not shy in telling "Mom and Dad" in St. Paul that they should be feeding more business to the Q at St. Paul as half the profits were going into their pockets.   Another factor at this time were freight car shortages.  As example the ICC and the AAR stepped in and ordered empty common cars with GN and NP marks were to return to them via CB&Q at Chicago.  After 1970 the GN/NP empties were "home" when they were interchanged at Chicago.
Fred Crissey