[CBQ] Re: Elephant Style Es [1 Attachment]

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Elephant Style Es [1 Attachment]
From: "Clipperw B clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 22:17:22 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1516681053; bh=i3y8IjENA5zCeBLyb9ymXm4afrOFhF/oUFs2opzk6NM=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=MedGjbjqxu75JT0hCtSmOJervZsXvUQgnb0Ix8qRer4fAO62FroackioJaENTOGlgHanVVBxwKPNbdy803lO1N+B10+ivj0J30PBP5DMlH8uLKL7gdAGUTXA23uukxV092In+GyiOsWlD5XTG3TsckiplDh5pNbi/wy3SJZ4CWc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from Clipperw B included below]

Charlie,

That is essentially correct and many photos confirm that. There are a few photos of an A-B-A E5 consists, but I haven’t seen an A-B-A consist with two of any other later E units and an E5 B unit. It may have happened, however, and I would certainly like to see such a photo. Based on the earlier responses, I would say that the Q probably started the addition of front MU about 1958 or late 1957 unless someone has a better date, Certainly, somewhere in the Mechanical Dept. files there was an instruction to the shops to add the front MU along with an AFE. There was another option for more than two units.. We have at least one photo of an E8 followed by an EA B and an EA A unit from Denver Zephyr service, see attached. I don’t think it happened very often, but it did happen at least once.

Prior to the addition of front MU, I think the Q simply sized all their trains for the capabilities of the two E locomotives based of timetable and schedules. If there was more equipment need to handle customer demand, a second section was added. There are many examples of second section (and maybe more) on the Q with photographic evidence available. Even the original DZ operated with second sections of standard equipment following. Thinking about it, that would add some  interesting operation on a model railroad.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO