Re: [CBQ] Two Questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Two Questions
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 13:21:37 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

June 30, 2017

Scott - To answer your question as to what type whistles were used on what classes, I spent some time checking my digital archive of Q steam locomotive images. All I can tell you, it was pretty much a mix right up until the end of steam. Class S 4-6-2's were equipped with both type whistles, Class S-4 4-6-4's all were equipped with the cast iron whistles, the Class M 2-10-2's were equipped with both kinds of whistles and the Class M-4 2-10-4's all were equipped with the cast iron whistles by the time they were upgraded into Class M-4-A. Not mentioned, Class O 2-8-2's were equipped with both kinds, too. I've seen images of the cast iron whistles being applied following World War One to just about every class including switchers. I'll speculate that as locomotives were shopped or if the valves failed in the brass whistles, they were replaced with the cast iron whistles. If you are modeling any specific locomotives, let me have their road numbers and I can check and see if I have an image that will identify what type of whistle they were equipped with. However, many images are undated, so it's not perfect..... Some time ago, as I recall, we had a thread about the cast iron whistles that were all manufactured by the Q at their Aurora Shops foundry. I do not recall if the Q's cast iron whistles were a proprietary design, manufactured under license from an established whistle factory or just "knock-offs" that were tweaked to the Q's own particular specifications. The cast iron whistles with their five stepped notes were LOUD and COMMANDING, often compared to a Banshee's shriek from Hell. Once heard, never forgotten..... Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL