Re: [CBQ] Hanging Markers in Chicago Union Station/flagging

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Hanging Markers in Chicago Union Station/flagging
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 09:45:30 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1498574796; bh=42t94a4STonqQI749tUWBrJ7iM7vBqBQ3ieNlpKoAr4=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=nsM0iDdRuHTVmal/srG6J51/qLShYPp7pUawTCKKaUhfKQmWXz5/OzscP55AHA9kK6/lx78Avmv/ljP4RCQob+k9q227O7rwVs974X/QlEunBgl8h6VhFRuAaJxi/RFY3FH+1am646gvBkFknHjolLIUNc7jYjd/Gi11ovapGV8=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Pete,

I can't answer the red lantern question directly. But since you brought up the subject.....

On April 18,1941 a carrier/union agreement was signed that required in part "after the effective date of this agreement (June 1,1941),each trainman and yardman must provide
Himself with an electric white lantern". "Railroads will continue to use oil burning lanterns with red globes for flagging service."

The agreement went on to say the lantern must be of the standard prescribed by the carrier, must have not less than two white bulbs for instant use and provision for a spare bulb inside the lantern. As a side note the employee could be supplied his lantern by the carrier and pay for it with payroll deduction.

Then on August 25,1941 trainmasters at Aurora posted notice #92 requiring flagman to maintain a white oil burning lantern in addition to a white electric lantern for use in flagging service. Similar notices were posted and observed by Aurora men at Burlington for other divisions about the same time.

The notice went on to state that it would not be necessary to keep the white oil lantern lighted except when in use. The notice also stated a white oil lantern is standard equipment on the engine and will be available for immediate use on the head end of the train.

Needless to say this set off a storm of protests from lodges to road general chairman and all the way to Cleveland national union HQ. On 1/19/42 the Q general chairman wrote to H.J. Hogland,asst. to  Exec. V.P. Of the Q asking that the Aurora notice and all other similar notices be canceled that were not in agreement with the electric lantern agreement.
The file does not contain a response from the Q mgmt. however there is a notation on the file that notice #92 was canceled.

Based on your comment of R.I. Practice and the above I would agree with your comment
That it sure seems that shortly after the electric lantern agreement effective date, somewhere a flagman's electric lantern failed with a collision occurring .

Leo