[CBQ] Hanging Markers in Chicago Union Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Hanging Markers in Chicago Union Station
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:22:15 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Here's  the latest snippet from the Aurora Lodge files that is too short to
ever become an article.

It's 1949, the Zephyrs have built in electric markers. So when backed into
Chicago Union
Station(CUS) the brakeman or flagman doesn't need to hang markers on the rear
car. I don't mean paddles but rather the real thing, the heavy kerosene
markers. For those who are familiar with CUS, you know the hanging of markers
on a train would require some acrobatics by the man given the trough in the
tracks,etc.

The normal routine was for the brakeman/flagman to go into the basement of CUS
to the "oil room" where markers were maintained by the mechanical department.
He would then go to his train and hang the markers. If there was a vestibule on
the bumping post rear end things weren't too bad. But some trains didn't have a
vestibule at the bumping post end.
This required a considerable effort to get markers hung.

Members of the Aurora,Aurora (Galesburg),Ottumwa and Chicago lodges signed a
petition asking that the Q close the "oil room" and have the mechanical
department put the markers on the train at 14 th. street coach yard before
backing down to CUS.

Management was reluctant to agree to this change. So it was agreed a member of
mgmt. would observe a brakeman hanging markers on one of the standard trains of
conventional equipment on the track at CUS.

Shortly thereafter the "oil room" was closed and conventional equipment trains
backed into CUS from 14th st. Coach yard with markers hung in place.

I share these insights so we can understand what real day to day railroading
was like.
For those on this group who are not BRHS members these little scenes reveal a
glimpse
Of the insights contained in the BRHS Bulletins. I encourage you to join the
BRHS.

Leo Phillipp

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com