RE: [CBQ] Eola Coal Chute

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Eola Coal Chute
From: "'Charlie Vlk' cvlk@comcast.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 18:10:18 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1497395421; bh=Fp6tz7gUcCHQHFc6eNsi7ErLeqwRmveBtZEkehqPmuI=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Qa8a4DydV7sduyuk9T5H+D1/Uzz/8gZ1+xIWdud+OTjEastCG+POxMSQkr4r2DFKABYJexrq74wWspXAzI/KP9X/1WtgZTg/EGyVNrQOF6ye1Ou5KbW8zJPdhyq9x/dq2j/7Mrj5g74/SfF06smv2JU7Eiv+0xLuTsTvK9so29A=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Leo-

The Eola coal chute is pretty well documented.

I had a copy of two elevations of the tower at work when I was the Illinois Bell representative to AT&T during the division of buildings and other assets at the breakup of the Bell System.   My AT&T counterpart was in our office and I showed him the drawing of the “Eola Tower” and he exclaimed “son of a b*tch….it’s made of wood”…..(I knew there was an AT&T Microwave facility at Eola and he fell for it!!!).

Drawings of the full tower appeared in Mainline Modeler along with a few pictures.

During USRA control of the railroads the EJ&E was allowed to use the tower and Eola turntable to facilitate transfers with the CB&Q.

I don’t know if the EJ&E originally crossed the CB&Q at grade.  I believe that they would have been required by the CB&Q to elevate their line when it was built in 1888 as it is today….as did the IC at Clyde only a couple of years later.

Glen Haug would know for sure from his research on signals.

Charlie Vlk