[CBQ] RPO Days this weekend at the Illinois Railway Museum (June 10 and

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] RPO Days this weekend at the Illinois Railway Museum (June 10 and 11)
From: "jon_habegger@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 08 Jun 2017 02:40:52 +0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Please excuse the cross posting of this notice.

This Saturday and Sunday (June 10 and 11) is RPO Days at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois. We will be running the RPO in the Coach train behind Frisco 1630. We are pleased that there will be about a half dozen former RPO Clerks at the Museum throughout the weekend. Catches using the mail crane located in front of the depot will be made as the train passes.

This year is 40 years since the last RPO run was made on June 30, 1977 between New York City and Washington, DC (New York and Wash).

Come see how mail was caught and dispatched on the fly. See also the small cramped quarters these Clerks worked. Ask former Clerks why they enjoyed their work so much. Catches will be made both days but most Clerks will be at the Museum on Saturday.

We will be using Chicago, Burlington & Quincy 1923 a baggage/RPO built in 1914 – yes, this car is 103 years old! The car contained a 30 foot RPO compartment. This is an amazing piece of history.

For more information about the Illinois Railway Museum, go to www.IRM.org

Jon Habegger

Posted by: jon_habegger@sbcglobal.net