Re: [CBQ] 1952 flooding

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "47builder@gmail.com" <47builder@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 1952 flooding
From: "Bill Hirt whirt@fastmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:49:32 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1485557373; bh=Tm2MYbJG8An6VH4EpNns5XPJVf9WE4kZcJ/vlrsveIw=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=1iBcj/mvysoMMkRf5llpM+UVbmYFET0nfBsMcEp44m6U1cfBSwqBcZLdATgB3+zX7B0nhs/DWxVu3NnkQMNLzZrYmaF3kPVY/KrSGSrYR0upVrPn0hJbAQvqRclcx03H5kZBI637pBf+jY4QtkuyjdHx8bC7cunhRavxZx3Si2U=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

This would have been an interesting move as Q trains always used the west entrance and exit to Kansas City Union Station. I would think they made a station stop there once off the UP to get Lincoln and Omaha passengers off so they could ride one of the KC-Omaha-Lincoln trains to get close to home. It would also be place to change crews. They then could backed the train out of Union Station and then used the wye (which still is there) to swing north on to Q track. According to the Joint CB&Q-Wabash Employee Timetable from February 1 1953 all Q passenger trains ran from Union Station through the Kansas City West Bottoms (still recovering from the July 1951 flood) on joint CB&Q-Wabash trackage from St. Louis Ave through an area what is locally called the "Gooseneck" to cross the Hannibal Bridge through Ustick interlocking to Birmingham where the Q mainline ran up to Liberty Kearney and Cameron.

If it had been 6 months later after the KC Short-cut was open, it would have been possible for a eastbound CZ detour to take the route eastbound Wabash passenger trains took. This was east and then northeast from Union Station on the Kansas City Terminal to the joint Milwaukee/Rock Island Truman Bridge over the Missouri River on the northeast side of Kansas City. There was connection on from the joint MILW-RI trackage to Wabash main. This is east of Birmingham but west of Maxwell where the cut-off joined the Wabash main. This would of required a pilot crew to get to the Wabash main, so I would doubt it was ever used in this way.

Bill Hirt