Re: [CBQ] Deliveries to Heileman Brewery in LaCrosse

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Deliveries to Heileman Brewery in LaCrosse
From: "CenturyLink Customer rksmes@q.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 22:23:58 -0500 (EST)
Cc: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1479353040; bh=MhdWKUGAwONajgkPmupYCaUcJNTT+HqEXa7PhVblhcI=; h=To:Cc:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=yUaUHPTtNI4XSlPZ0Ad/fmShKKtUC+fujldANCsW6pN8Sy3++3Fyj12X/Y9cAvQ039GH3YMNXPt8/66hn4cYLg5XAs+6LUeKZdxXW8DNQKCLQyW8iKLFA7dTkhpR7+Thm0m5hb72yHU+ksN22DsOy+JBnFp8DAgV0kkqOwd6DaM=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
X_cmae_category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined

In the 1960's, I worked at the Kurth Malting Co. in Minneapolis as the engineer responsible for the maintenance crew.

There were two operations, the malting of barley and the "receiving" elevator for all 3 of the Kurth malt plants.  At

that time, the "rules" of the Grain Exchange in Minneapolis allowed the refusal of boxcars of barley if they were not

good but only in Minneapolis.  The box cars were received only after a sample of barley was checked at the plant.

If the car was "plugged" with junk like grain dust it also could be refused.  The receiving terminal elevator cleaned and

graded the barley.  Small kernels were shipped to Duluth for export.  The "good" stuff was shipped to Milwaukee,

Manitowoc or used in Minneapolis for malting.  All of the other major malting companies also had a "terminal"

elevator operation in Minneapolis.  A few years later the "rules" changed and the terminal elevators all closed.
I remember that malted barley was loaded in covered hoppers and some was shipped to Heileman in LaCrosse.

Bob Sorensen