Re: [CBQ] 60 ft and 86 ft Auto Parts Box Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 60 ft and 86 ft Auto Parts Box Cars
From: "Bill Hirt whirt@fastmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 08:53:48 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1470848635; bh=q2qaTwOicE9D64Q/lA97p51Yef8tjtRI/tV5Kc70nRk=; h=To:References:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=wHnfhaZdCTZ9XqvINPEHPdwS+EbT0IpZ6BvIpTTpVIFg3qzIV4a7NRpkPAtRSWPGHqRD+MNL3AXOlXZZ33cY2WnqWt4ots4JZ6wK97Pgg9Rb4HqssVGSG/jVNT6IPZXVbUfKHflyIQAQr6GZLtAwU4T6BNplFk8ZVyTyOSenD4I=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Fred,

What a great amount of information here. I have a couple of questions perhaps you can answer.

1. On the Kansas City traffic, was it mostly all GM bound for the Fairfax plant in Kansas City KS (the old plant was on the UP as is the new one built in 1980s). Or did the Q get some of the Leeds plant traffic that was on the east side of Kansas City that was on the KCS and MP?

2. In a 1965 MP Traffic Guide, it shows that GM had a Diesel Distribution warehouse in North Kansas City on the Q. Maybe stock diesel engines and parts? GM has a truck parts warehouse on the UP in the Kansas City KS. Do you know if this was part of the GM traffic?

3. The Ford Claycomo plant was served by the N&W (former Wabash) and used trackage rights on old Q mainline from Kansas City to Kearney to access the plant. Did the Q get to share in any of the Ford traffic to or from Claycomo because of the trackage rights agreement?

4. Did the Q get any of the auto parts business from Ford or GM to the assembly plants in the St. Louis area?

5. Was the Q already handling auto parts cars to the D&RGW when you came onboard in 1965? I have a friend who models the D&RGW then and would find this information very useful for the modeling.

Thanks for more information on the DT&I-AA-GBW-MILW routing. I failed to mention in earlier message that the DT&I picked up control of the AA when the Wabash merged with the N&W in 1964, so this gave the DT&I a longer haul and greater cut of the revenue.

Thanks,

Bill Hirt