Re: [CBQ] 60 ft and 86 ft Auto Parts Box Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 60 ft and 86 ft Auto Parts Box Cars
From: "llarryo1 Llarryo1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2016 12:00:31 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Group,
Let me take this in a slightly different direction, but I think, still on topic.

I worked for 30+ years for the General Motors Parts Division in a local parts warehouse (Parts Distribution Center). Our function was to supply dealerships with genuine GM parts. If you remember the Goodwrench jingle "Keep that great GM feeling with genuine GM parts!" that was us.
Our warehouse was located in Broadview, IL on the Indiana Harbor Belt. We received our inbound loads via 40 & 50 foot boxcars, mostly eastern roads. I never saw anything larger.

With that, my guess is that the larger cars were used to transport parts between the manufacturers/suppliers and the assembly plants.

Larry Owen
Bolingbrook, IL